from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fish of the family Polyodontidae, having a long paddle-shaped snout, especially Polyodon spathula of the Mississippi River basin. Also called spoonbill.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several primitive fish, of the family Polyodontidae, that have a long snout shaped like a paddle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large ganoid fish (Polyodon spathula) found in the rivers of the Mississippi Valley. It has a long spatula-shaped snout. Called also duck-billed cat, and spoonbill sturgeon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The spoon-billed sturgeon, Polyodon (or Spatularia) spatula, a ganoid fish of the family Polyodontidæ (or Spatulariidæ), attaining a length of five or six feet, abundant in the Mississippi river and its larger tributaries.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. primitive fish of the Mississippi valley having a long paddle-shaped snout
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Despite they're large size reaching weights of 80 to 100 pounds www. mdc.mo.gov The paddlefish is a magical, fantastic looking fish.
Published: 2009-06-26 21: 03: 39+01: 00 www. mdc.mo.gov The paddlefish is a magical, fantastic looking fish.
One of the world's largest freshwater fish on the verge of extinction LONDON - Reports indicate that the giant Chinese paddlefish, which is one of the world's largest freshwater fish, is on the verge of going extinct.
Hogan, a conservation biologist, said the closest to extinction is the Chinese paddlefish, which is found in the Yangtze River in China.
A plan to reduce the size of the reserve will imperil rare species such as the Chinese paddlefish and Yangtze sturgeon by interrupting breeding and curtailing space for floating eggs and larvae, Guo says.
Ramsay de Give for The Wall Street Journal The Highliner Omelet with crème fraîche and herbs, topped with paddlefish roe.
The Highliner Omelet $16 with crème fraîche and herbs is topped with paddlefish roe.
I take it that Ellis Nadler reads the angel as a monk (um, ok), dripping some fish blood into the mouth (?) of a giant giant Mississippi paddlefish?
So ... uh, in his universe, The Virgin Mary is a paddlefish?
Or ... perhaps in the same way that Jesus was a savior for human beings, perhaps God saw best that other creatures needed salvation, too, and thus to the paddlefish sent a paddlefish savior?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.