American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A countryman; a compatriot.
- n. Slang A friend; a pal.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The chaparral-cock or road-runner, Geococcyx californianus. See Geococcyx, and cut under chaparral-cock.
- n. Peasant; rustic
- n. One's fellow countryman; compatriot
- n. native, especially a native of California of mixed Spanish and Indian ancestry
- n. Southwest U.S. roadrunner
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) The chaparral cock; the roadrunner.
- n. A compatriot.
- n. A comrade; a pal; a buddy.
- From Spanish, from French paysan (Wiktionary)
- Spanish, from French paysan, from Old French paisant, peasant; see peasant. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Another animal frequently seen was the chaparral-cock or road-runner, really the earth cuckoo (_Geococcyx Mexicanus_), called paisano or pheasant, or”
“Shortcut mexican customs - the "paisano" program for crossing the border”
“MexConnect. com Forums: General: General Forum: mexican customs - the "paisano" program for crossing the border”
“The term "paisano" is an ironic joke to the gods, something familiar to blacks.”
“Well hello Danny or should I say "paisano" I am also orginally from Zacatecas close to where you are mentioning.”
“In the opening chapter the old paisano, Justo Prieto, takes the reader by the hand and introduces him to the long-forgotten Mexican-Californian town of San Sebastian, where strange things have come to pass.”
“At La Villa, to the Virgen de Guadalupe, the sinner is indistinct from the saint, the native paisano cannot be told apart from the foreign pocho.”
“Mitt Romney may brag about being technically a Mexican paisano, but Romney should realize that he and his public record will never really be trusted-especially by Latino voters.”
“Joe was the same icon of past perfection and present dignity to an aged paisano in the Bronx ... or a child of the '60s from Hootin' Holler, Arkansas.”
“But take some advice paisano, learn-a how to mambo.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘paisano’.
My P Words
A list of birders' "shorthand" names, traditional nicknames, non-English names, and obsolete names for feathered creatures worldwide.
Interesting blog entry here on naming U.S. birds.
spain word list
Also check out Reese Tee's Through Thick & Thin for more friend words.
Looking for tweets for paisano.