American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A public place in ancient Greece for training and practice in wrestling and other athletics.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Greek antiquity:
- n. A public place appropriated to exercises, under official direction, in wrestling and athletics, intended especially for the benefit of athletes training to contend in the public games.
- n. Wrestling and athletics.
- n. Alternative form of palaestra.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A wrestling school; hence, a gymnasium, or place for athletic exercise in general.
- n. A wrestling; the exercise of wrestling.
- n. a public place in ancient Greece or Rome devoted to the training of wrestlers and other athletes
- Middle English palestre, from Old French, from Latin palaestra, from Greek palaistra, from palaiein, to wrestle. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Suppose a man to have been trained in the palestra and to be a skilful boxer-he in the fulness of his strength goes and strikes his father or mother or one of his familiars or friends; but that is no reason why the trainers or fencing-masters should be held in detestation or banished from the city-surely not.”
“Palestrante de marketing digital Conrado Adolpho ministra palestra na Endeavor sobre marketing digital e comportamento do consumidor digital.”
“Mi sono iscritta in palestra e domani comincio a seguire un corso - prossimamente potro' raccontare delle mie avventure nel mondo del cardio-kickboxing *sorriso malefico* La mia amica Sam mi ha mandato della bella lana e ora non ho scuse per non cominciare a lavorare a maglia, ho comprato anche i ferri e sono pronta per imparare!”
“The 24-Karat-Gold Facial is available in London at Harrods ($470; harrods. com), at the Raffles Dubai hotel ($380; dubai. raffles.com), in Moscow at Spa Palestra ($770; palestra. ru) and in the U.S. at the Veronica Skin & Body Care Center in Malibu, California ($400; veronicaskincare. com).”
“~ Ho scoperto che in paese c'e' una palestra, e una piscina, dove si fa aqua gym, quindi non sono condannata ad allargarmi a dismisura causa eccessivo consumo di schifezze americane”
“They seized children, adults, and mostly those who were engaged in the exercises of the palestra and gymnasium, but seldom attacked women.”
“And there is nothing to prevent a person from placing a foot on the hump, and supporting his weight on it, and making gentle pressure; one of the men who is practiced in the palestra would be a proper person for doing this in a suitable manner.”
“These methods of reduction are all of easy application in the palestra, as they can all be performed without instruments, but they also be used elsewhere.”
“O tema da palestra é “Beyond the Digital Revolution”, onde também será abordado o trabalho desenvolvido pelos Fab Labs (laboratórios multidisciplinares voltados para a fabricação pessoal), e tem o apoio da FLAD e da UNL (citando a nota informativa).”
“Un uomo Mick Diflo chiuso dentro una palestra buia, si esercita per sviluppare i muscoli superiori.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘palestra’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words taken from Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
Looking for tweets for palestra.