from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The individual's right to choose any form of government without being forced to move from their current locale.
- n. Dynamic symmetry across multiple scales.
- n. An inclusive, multilateral system in which all parties may participate meaningfully.
- n. Rule by all; a system of governance in which each person has absolute power.
- n. Rule of all; absolute or total rule.
- n. An all-encompassing realm.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A realm or dominion which includes the universe.
Resilience research is grounded in what futurists call panarchy theory.
I was rushing to get a comment up because I could see no one had come across the idea of panarchy before.
It opens with Buzz Holling (who NRE 580 alumnus will remember for panarchy theory) on adaptation, uncertainy, adeterminism, non-equilibrium, and such like in the general world.
If government ever becomes the panarchy-the bureaucratic instrument of the people-that I imagine, we may come to regard governmental positions as being just more jobs we humans don't want to do.
The panarchy idea is one that has immense draw for me and allows us to include anarcho-communists or religious anarchists in our ranks.
Extraterritorial government is known generally as panarchy.
There are several links to other panarchy sites on the links page.
In my example of a panarchy in my hometown, I do not see the separate governments completely divorced from one another, but cooperating on those things that they agree on perhaps a single police force and court system while going their own way on other things such as the schools.
We may be able to change the constitution/nature of the polity or the government, but a political community is not a voluntary association, and one's obligations out of justice, both to the political community in which one is born and raised and to one's fellow citizens, prevent one from endorsing panarchy.
Paul B. Hartzog has just launched a fundraiser on fundable. org to raise money for panarchy. com.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.