American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A flourish made after or below a signature, originally to prevent forgery.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In diplomatics, the figure formed by a flourish of a pen at the conclusion of a signature, formerly used as a precaution against forgers; the flourish.
- To append a paraph to: hence, to sign, especially with the signer's initials. Also paragraph.
- n. A flourish made after or below one's signature, originally to prevent forgery.
- v. transitive To add a paraph to; to sign, especially with one's initials.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A flourish made with the pen at the end of a signature. In the Middle Ages, this formed a sort of rude safeguard against forgery.
- v. To add a paraph to; to sign, esp. with the initials.
- n. a flourish added after or under your signature (originally to protect against forgery)
- French paraphe, from Old French paraffe, abbreviated signature, from Medieval Latin paraphus, paragraph sign, short for paragraphus; see paragraph. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In my last paraph I did not intend to imply that I am or could ever be a father, I meant only to suggest that I can understand how a muy macho studmuffin might be justly proud of his way with the Laydeeze.”
“Yes, he bears the royal arms on his shield, but yet, if we remember rightly, the crown and paraph of our ancestor Edward the Third are wanting.”
“He has now added this crown and this paraph to his coat-of-arms," said”
“The youthful paraph under the signature, the symmetry, the feminine curves of the handwriting are some of the elements to look for.”
“If your Xbox 360 avatar appears unfulfilled despite a virtual closet packed with game-related paraph ...”
“*rummages around closet looking for Viking paraph…paraf…stuff*”
“Priam's lamentation, — — lamentations of Hecuba, &c.' ■ paraph rafe on Horace,”
“Répentigny, "with the capital" C, "or" Répentigny "alone, in a bold hand, with a paraph.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘paraph’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
names of punctuation marks, accent marks, and other graphic signs and graphical characters used in printed, written, or digital text.
Scrawlings, notes, odd writings, and messages.
of or related to drawing—forms, tools, techniques, processes, practices, etc.
Yes. Yes it does.
Looking for tweets for paraph.