from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An untanned animal hide soaked in lye and water to remove the hair and then dried on a stretcher.
- n. An article, such as a shield, made of this hide.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A form of stiff leather made from rawhide
- n. A shield, bag or other item made from this material
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of rawhide consisting of hide, esp. of the buffalo, which has been soaked in crude wood-ash lye to remove the hairs, and then dried.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The hide of an animal (preferably of a bull-buffalo) from which the hair has been removed by soaking in water mixed with wood-ashes, and which is then stretched on a frame so as to take the desired shape, and allowed to dry.
A portion was packed in parfleche bags, to be taken to the winter lodge, or to be used for food on journeys.
La Luna sat near her brother, sewing "parfleche" soles upon a pair of moccasins.
As in the range of parfleche available, past and present entwine throughout the collection in a vibrant demonstration of the way tradition can evolve while remaining true to its source.
One intriguing pre-Contact craft the shop offers is parfleche, AKA the Samsonite of the Plains.
Ancient parfleche and quillwork designs are reinterpreted in beadwork, a craft that arose in the post-Contact era, when glass beads became available beaded moccasins, right, $125 and up; baby mocs shown in additional photos at bottom, $35-$80; Melvin Miner beaded rattle, below, $70.
They brought everything inside the tent with them, except the parfleche hanging from the poles, and even the damp Wolf seemed happy to curl up at Ayla's feet.
They hung the parfleche; then Ayla glanced toward the fireplace, thinking about the food she had just put on to cook, though nothing was apparent.
He was erecting the tripod of poles from which the parfleche full of meat would be suspended.
"Maybe we can get enough hide to make a new parfleche, too," she said.
While they traveled, the missing parfleche and long poles preyed on Ayla's mind.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.