Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In a recently invented glass-blowing machine for bottle-making, the receptacle which first receives the molten glass in quantity just sufficient to form a single bottle, and feeds the metal to the mold. The sizes of the parisons are varied to correspond with different sizes of bottles.
- n. In glass manufacturing, the mass of molten glass gathered on the end of the pontil before it is blown.
- n. glassblowing A spherical mass of glass, rolled immediately after being taken out of the furnace.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Glassworking) An intermediate stage or shape of a glass object which is produced in more than one stage.
- From French paraison, from parer ‘pare’. (Wiktionary)
“Line 7, 'Desiring this man's art and that man's scope', deftly displays the figure of rhetoric known as parison, or the symmetrical repetition of words in grammatically parallel phrases.”
“(Many cellphones, by com-parison, operate at 2 GHz.)”
“Of course, the use of white lead in ancient Rome paled in parison to the workout it got during the 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th centuries.”
“It is possible for the same sentence to have all these features together-antithesis, parison, and homoeoteleuton.”
“In a passage that brilliantly demonstrates the rhetorical devices we saw earlier in Shakespeare's poetry, such as stichomythia, antithesis, parison, and isocolon (see Chapter 1), Hamlet makes plain that he is on the offensive.”
“Gold had cultivated a moustache to discourage the com-parison, but it wasn't a very good one; it refused to connect beneath his nose.”
“For Branding, it served to put into perspective human concerns and anxieties, which seemed, in com-parison, both fleeting and inconsequential.”
“The wintry gloom of Seitforest stood replaced by a towering ring of cedars whose age and majesty held no com-parison to any woodland known to mortals.”
“Greensville's very much like Plains, Georgia, if you'll pardon my corn parison.”
“There were color and variety to make Earth's richest jungles seem pallid and wan in com - parison..”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘parison’.
Looking for tweets for parison.