from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Music An instrumental piece composed of a series of variations, as a suite.
- n. Music One of the variations contained in such a piece.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of instrumental suite popular in the 18th century
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A suite; a set of variations.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In music, a suite, or a set of variations.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of the variations contained in a partita
- n. (music) an instrumental suite common in the 18th century
Italian, from feminine past participle of partire, divide, from Latin partīre; see partite.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian partita (Wiktionary)