American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who makes patterns, as for sewing, carpentry, or industrial machinery.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In mech. engin., a workman who makes the patterns used by molders in foundry-work. These patterns are usually made, in the first instance, of pine or mahogany, the pattern-maker working from drawings. If the patterns are to be much used, they are frequently duplicated in metal, the pattern after casting being filed and scoured smooth, then warmed, and coated with wax. Metal patterns have the advantage of not warping like wood patterns. Patterns are also sometimes made of plaster of Paris swept by templets while in a plastic state. This method has been successfully applied in architectural ironwork in the production of cornices and analogous forms. Pattern-making is a distinct trade, requiring great skill in wood-working, combining as it does the finest joinery-work with the art of wood-carving and the ability to read and interpret the most complicated mechanical drawings.
- n. someone whose occupation is to make patterns, especially those used as a guide in the manufacture of something else
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Someone who makes patterns (as for sewing or carpentery or metalworking).
- n. someone who makes patterns (as for sewing or carpentry or metalworking)
“I then ship my sketces to my patternmaker who turns the piece around for review.”
“Having the right editors, models, and photographers in attendance seemed to serve as markers of legitimacy for the rapper, rather than say, a proper patternmaker.”
“The head patternmaker, irritated by the man's attitude, walked over to him.”
“Guess I was wrong," the patternmaker told himself, putting the incident out of his mind.”
“The patternmaker recommends using a row counter, to which I cockily said “Bah!””
“If the designer, the patternmaker, the operational specifier is an American – these are American shoes.”
“In this new technique, a patternmaker could lay a grid over any image and use this to guide loom setup.”
“I had a freelance patternmaker who would come up to my apartment and work with me during the day.”
“If you want to research pattern making software, check out www. patternmaker.com as well as green ginger.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘patternmaker’.
More randomly-garnered terms from the world of words that don't quite yet fit into my other lists.
Looking for tweets for patternmaker.