from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A stately and formal Spanish dance for which full state costume is worn; -- so called from the resemblance of its movements to those of the peacock.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A slow, stately dance, probably of Italian origin, but much practised in Spain.
- n. Music for such a dance or in its rhythm, which is properly duple and very slow.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stately court dance of the 16th and 17th centuries
- n. music composed for dancing the pavane
Sorry, no etymologies found.