from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Earth, ore, or gravel that is profitable to mine.
- n. Informal A useful or profitable discovery or venture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Earth which contains profitable quantities of ore.
- n. A profitable area or period; success.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Earth, rock, etc., which yields a profit to the miner.
- a discovery, especially after an exploratory process, which yields a profit or sought-after benefit; -- used especially in the phrase “to hit pay dirt”.
- n. earth which yields a profit to the miner.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a profitable success
- n. ore that yields a substantial profit to the miner
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.