from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Resembling or functioning as a foot: pedate appendages.
- adj. Zoology Having feet: pedate larvae.
- adj. Botany Having palmately divided lobes with the lateral lobes cleft or divided: a pedate leaf.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. having the characteristics of a foot
- adj. having feet
- adj. (of a leaf) having deeply divided lobes
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Palmate, with the lateral lobes cleft into two or more segments; -- said of a leaf.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having divisions like toes; in botany, having the two lateral lobes themselves divided into smaller segments, the midribs of which do not run directly into the common central point, as a palmate leaf, such as the leaf of Helleborus fœtidus.
- In zoöl:
- In zoology: Relating or pertaining to the Pedata.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or resembling a foot
- adj. of a leaf shape; having radiating lobes, each deeply cleft or divided
Latin pedātus, past participle of pedāre, to furnish with feet, from pēs, ped-, foot; see ped- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)