from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several acute or chronic skin diseases characterized by groups of itching blisters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A severe autoimmune skin disease characterized by pustules and painful blisters, and which can be fatal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A somewhat rare skin disease, characterized by the development of blebs upon different parts of the body.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An affection of the skin, consisting of eruptions (bullæ) of various sizes, from that of a pea to that of a walnut, usually with accompaniment of fever. Also called pompholyx and bladdery fever.
- n. In entomology: [cap] A genus of plant-lice or aphids of the subfamily Pemphiginæ (Hartig, 1841).
- n. An aphid of the genus Pemphigus: as, the vagabond pemphigus, P.ragabunda.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a skin disease characterized by large thin-walled blisters (bullae) arising from normal skin or mucous membrane
New Latin pemphīgus, from Greek pemphīx, pemphīg-, pustule.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek πέμφιξ (pemphix, "pustule"). (Wiktionary)