from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling rock, especially in hardness; stony.
- adj. Of or relating to the very dense, hard portion of the temporal bone that forms a protective case for the inner ear.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Resembling rock or stone in its hardness
- adj. Of the dense portion of the temporal bone that protects the inner ear.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Like stone; hard; stony; rocky.
- adj. Same as Petrosal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Like stone in hardness; stony; rocky.
- Pertaining to the part of the temporal bone so called; petrosal: as. a petrous vein or sinus; a petrous ganglion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of bone especially the temporal bone) resembling stone in hardness
Middle English, from Old French petros, from Latin petrōsus, rocky, from petra, rock, from Greek petrā.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Greek petra, rock. (Wiktionary)