from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to light.
- adj. Penetrated by or receiving light.
- adj. Designating or relating to the layer of a body of water that is penetrated by sufficient sunlight for photosynthesis: the photic zone of the ocean.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, related to, or irradiated by light; especially describing that part of the near-surface ocean is which photosynthesis is possible
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pert. to light; specif., relating to the production of light by the lower animals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to those forms of radiation which are productive of luminous effects; relating to light.
- In phytogeography, well-lighted: designating the upper bright region of bodies of water in which the light is sufficiently intense for the normal development of microphytes. Correlated with dysphotic and aphotic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or caused by light
photo- + -ic (Wiktionary)