American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The fine vascular membrane that closely envelops the brain and spinal cord under the arachnoid and the dura mater.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- The delicate fibrous and very vascular membrane which immediately invests the brain and spinal cord. It is the third or inmost of the three meninges, covered both by the arachnoid and by the dura mater. Also called
- n. anatomy The inner most of the meninges membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord.
GNU Webster's 1913
- (Anat.) The delicate and highly vascular membrane immediately investing the brain and spinal cord.
- n. the highly vascular innermost of the 3 meninges
- Middle English, from Medieval Latin pia māter : Latin pia, tender + Latin māter, mother (translation of Arabic 'umm raqīqa : 'umm, mother + raqīqa, tender). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The edema of the brain, irregular pink mottlings of white substance, and an exudative lesion of one focus in the pia mater of the right side suggested an encephalitis more marked on the right side.”
“The frontal pia mater was greatly thickened and, although no gross lesions were noted in the cortex, the microscope brings out marked lesions in the shape of cell losses (especially in suprastellate layers) in all areas examined.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pia mater’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Looking for tweets for pia mater.