from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Baseball A play in which a runner is caught off base and is put out by a quick throw, as from the pitcher or catcher.
- n. Sports An interception, as in football.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A play in which a pitcher throws a live ball to a fielder so that the fielder can tag out a baserunner who has moved away from the base
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a play in which a base runner is picked off. See pick off.
- transitive v. to put out a baserunner who is off base by tagging him/her, especially by a quick throw from the pitcher or catcher.
- transitive v. to shoot so as to kill or disable, especially one by one from a position or in a situation where the target is unable to return fire at the shooter; -- used commonly of sniper fire.
- transitive v. to intercept (a pass).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a baseball play in which a base runner is caught off base and tagged out
- v. shoot one by one
- v. pull or pull out sharply
While my pickoff has been a valuable asset my entire professional career, only in the last season and a half have I come close to perfecting it, including ways to better set up what I call my "A" and "" A+ "moves.
Following a 40-minute rain delay, Robinson Cano slashed a double to left, then stole third on a botched pickoff attempt.
Roethlisberger finished 21 of 30 for 256 yards with one touchdown and one interception, Dansby's pickoff at the Steelers '33-yard line that the Cardinals could not turn into points.
As request for quotes rolled across the screen, scumbag traders would pickoff others by changing one letter in a quote, eg M95-96 – 97 bfly vs U92-95 p sprd becomes M95-96 – 97 bfly vs U82-95 p sprd, changing the value of the package by a couple tics.
Over the All-Star break, for instance, he returned to his hometown of Salisbury, N.C., and spent a day working on pickoff moves with pitchers from a local American Legion team.
Burnett hit the first batter of the game, Detroit's Don Kelly, then threw away a pickoff attempt to allow Kelly to reach third.
Braden controls the opposing running game extremely well, and he has one of the best pickoff moves in the game.
He recalled challenging some of the top pickers (Fleck, Douglas) to a "pickoff" during his last visit here (2006) and they never showed, so "we decided by forfeit we won."
Broncos linebacker Jason Hunter also recorded his first pickoff as a pro.
If I take three steps toward second, a guy picks me off and I dive back into first base, it doesn't count as a caught stealing, it counts as a pickoff.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.