American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A simplified form of speech that is usually a mixture of two or more languages, has a rudimentary grammar and vocabulary, is used for communication between groups speaking different languages, and is not spoken as a first or native language. Also called contact language.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Business; affair; thing.
- n. linguistics an amalgamation of two disparate languages, used by two populations having no common language as a lingua franca to communicate with each other, lacking formalized grammar and having a small, utilitarian vocabulary and no native speakers.
- n. an artificial language used for trade between speakers of different languages
- From Pidgin English, from a Chinese attempt to pronounce the English word business during trades in the Far East. (Wiktionary)
- From Pidgin English. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“no got pidgin," and _pidgin English_ simply means a workable knowledge of colloquial English as picked up by tradesmen, servants and coolies, in contradistinction to English as taught in the schools.”
“My Mr. told me that the key to pidgin is to pick out the English words and try to make sense of them.”
“We gave them worm tablets and would ask them politely, in pidgin English, to collect their fecal matter in buckets for us.”
“The story of a Korean uprising told in pidgin poetry.”
“A pidgin is what you get when you throw people together who have no common language and gramatically its kind of a mess.”
“It is difficult to defend an American president who speaks in pidgin-English.”
“Anglo used to enroll them in informal classes to learn Fanagolo, a century-old, 200-word pidgin language that was created decades ago so that mining bosses could order illiterate miners to perform basic tasks.”
“A pidgin is a simplified language used to help two groups with distinct languages communicate with each other.”
“A pidgin is a mashup of two languages A and B used when a speaker of A and a speaker of B want/need to communicate.”
“A pidgin is a simplified language that develops when groups of adult speakers without a common language come into prolonged contact.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pidgin’.
Words for Talking
( open list, randomness )
Words that indicate meaningless, confusing or deceptive talk.
Words from the songs of Frank Black, a.k.a. Black Francis
Words as I learn them.
Words which fit the joke format: "How do you like X-in(g)? I don't know, I've never X-ed".
favorite words. some are made up injokes between me and my husband or family.
Looking for tweets for pidgin.