from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Crude iron cast in blocks.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of crude iron shaped like a block, commonly used as an industrial raw material.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the form in which cast iron is made at the blast furnace, being run into molds, called pigs.
- n. cast iron in pigs, or oblong blocks or bars, as it comes from the smelting furnace. See Pig, 4.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Iron in pigs, as it comes from the blast-furnace. See pig, 3.
- n. A flat piece of iron, which is hung so as to be interposed between the fire and meat roasting, when it is desirable to retard the cooking.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. crude iron tapped from a blast furnace
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.