from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A hair or hairlike structure, especially on the surface of a cell or microorganism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hair.
- n. A hairlike appendage found on the cell surface of many bacteria.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, one of the fine slender bodies, like hair, covering some plants.
- n. In zoology, a hair or hair-like body, especially a hair in any way distinguished from those which collectively cover the body.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. hairlike structure especially on the surface of a cell or microorganism
- n. any of the cylindrical filaments characteristically growing from the epidermis of a mammal
Latin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Latin hair (Wiktionary)