Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of aglossal tailless amphibians, typical of the family Pipidæ. P. americana or surinamensis, the Surinam toad, is the only species. Its color is brownish-olive above and whitish below. It is some times 7 inches long, and has a peculiarly hideous aspect. It is particularly interesting on account of its mode of rearing its young. After the female has laid the eggs, the male places them upon her back, fecundates them, and then presses them into cellules, which at that period open for their reception, and afterward close over them. In these cellules on the mother's back the eggs are hatched and the young pass their tadpole state, for they do not leave their domicile till their legs are formed. Asterodactylus is a synonym. See
- n. [lowercase] A toad of the genus Pipa.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) The Surinam toad (Pipa Americana), noted for its peculiar breeding habits.
- n. type genus of the Pipidae
- From Mandarin 琵琶 (pípa) (Wiktionary)
“Chew quickly recognized Tyler's talent and recruited him to join her Purple Silk music program, where students learn to sing Chinese songs and play traditional instruments such as a two-string violin called an erhu, a four-stringed lute known as a pipa and a bamboo flute called a dizi.”
“(known as pipa in Chinese) piled up at Mercat St. Joseph in Barcelona. word of the month (not quite sure exactly which month this was).”
“Jane Ira Bloom played soprano saxophone I have a thing for the saxophone which explains my crush on Jimmy Sommers and Min Xiao-Fen plays the Chinese pipa which is also an instrument that kind of looks like a weird guitar.”
“All the people, animals and outbuilding and the big house survived but I did have to send out a "pipa" and the firemen came also.”
“The ambitious menu features exotic fare such as pipa virtuoso Wu Man, who performs traditional music rarely seen in urban regions of China, let alone outside the country, as well as international superstars from the "Class of 1978" (the first classically trained musicians to graduate conservatory after China's devastating Cultural Revolution).”
“The necessary "pipa" variable is absent from the first example, which is why it doesn't work.”
“(two-stringed fiddle) and recorded a guitar, which can imitate the sound of the "pipa”
“(example 1), but still be able to use the keys (example 2), or in other words: how do I receive the "pipa" variable in the first example? pweb: =”
“Mr. Merritt sings the quiet rock ballad "Last Breath" accompanied by a mix of acoustic and electric guitars, including one that sounds like a pipa, that begin to dart around each other in increasingly complex patterns while the song unfolds.”
“A whole cadre of Chinese composers -- Chen Yi, Zhou Long, Bright Sheng, and many others -- have worked traditional Chinese elements into Western composition; the New York Philharmonic has played pipa concertos.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pipa’.
Looking for tweets for pipa.