from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various slim elongated fishes of the family Syngnathidae, living in temperate and warm seas and characterized by a tubelike snout and an external covering of bony plates.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a small fish from the seahorse family
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any lophobranch fish of the genus Siphostoma, or Syngnathus, and allied genera, having a long and very slender angular body, covered with bony plates. The mouth is small, at the end of a long, tubular snout. The male has a pouch on his belly, in which the incubation of the eggs takes place.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the several lopho-branehiate fishes which have a long tubular snout like a pipe, as any member of the Syngnathidæ or Hippo-campidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fish with long tubular snout and slim body covered with bony plates
Sorry, no etymologies found.