from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Paroxysmal pain and soreness of the muscles between the ribs.
- n. An epidemic disease caused by a coxsackievirus, characterized by paroxysmal pain in the lower chest and accompanied by fever, headache, and malaise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A painful condition of the side of the body, simulating pleurisy, usually due to rheumatism.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A painful affection of the side, simulating pleurisy, usually due to rheumatism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, pain in the muscles of the chest.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. pain in the chest caused by inflammation of the muscles between the ribs
New Latin : pleur(o)- + Greek odunē, pain.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ancient Greek, meaning "side pain". (Wiktionary)