Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mad desire for wealth; specifically, a form of insanity characterized by the delusion of wealth.
- n. A passion or craving for wealth.
- n. An obsession with money.
- n. The delusion that one is wealthy.
- From Ancient Greek πλοῦτος (ploutos, "wealth") + μανία (mania, "madness"). (Wiktionary)
“Conserve is to take care of the elderly, poor and disenfranchised in this country ... because people are our most important resource, just the opposite of what Republicans stand for, which is selfish pathological plutomania.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘plutomania’.
mental disorder; excessive craving
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
Looking for tweets for plutomania.