from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Literary criticism that deals with the nature, forms, and laws of poetry.
- n. A treatise on or study of poetry or aesthetics.
- n. The practice of writing poetry; poetic composition.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The theory of poetry, or of literature in general
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The principles and rules of the art of poetry.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That branch of criticism which treats of the nature and laws of poetry.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. study of poetic works
From the Poetics of Aristotle (Wiktionary)