Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the East Indies, a fish of the genus Stromateoides, distinguished from the other stromateoids by the restricted lateral branchial apertures. The white pomfret is S. sinensis, having no distinct free spines before the dorsal and anal fins, and the caudal lobes subequal. It is highly esteemed for its flesh. The gray pomfret is S. cinereus, which has free truncated spines before the dorsal and anal fins, and the lower caudal lobe much longer than the upper; young specimens are called
- n. Loosely, any fish of the family Stromateidæ.
- n. A bramoid fish, Brama rayi, Ray's seabream or hen-fish.
- n. A fish of family Bramidae, consisting of eight genera and some twenty species.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One of two or more species of marine food fishes of the genus Stromateus (Stromateus niger, Stromateus argenteus) native of Southern Europe and Asia.
- n. A marine food fish of Bermuda (Brama Raji).
- n. deep-bodied sooty-black pelagic spiny-finned fish of the northern Atlantic and northern Pacific; valued for food
- Perhaps derived from Portuguese pampano, a kind of fish. (Wiktionary)
“Product does not contain pomfret, squid, shrimp or crab.”
“So after coming from work, I used to flip through the yellow pages, call the fishmongers and pester them with questions about "pomfret", "mackrel", "king fish"...”
“Profit-making fish such as pomfret have gone 12 to 14 nautical miles away, so men go far into the sea.”
“Ratnagiri boasts an annual catch of 1,25,000 tonnes of a variety of fish, including pomfret, surmai (kingfish), bangda (Indian mackerel) and rawas (Indian salmon), but with the project, those numbers could dwindle significantly.”
“Instead of using imported frozen pomfret for a fish curry, for instance, he might use fresh striped bass or halibut.”
“The label depicts a pomfret, a squid, some shrimp and a crab – the fine print under the picture says this:”
“While Sig used halibut in this recipe, I've tried it with both king fish and pomfret and both taste great.”
“I love fish in tamarind sauce, and just recently made pomfret fish curry this way.”
“A stuff pomfret which only modern koli has learnt from the Parsees and a Tiger prawn curry with tomatoes.”
“But at my back was the world from where I had come: little Zainab and watery-eyed Ammi, pomfret tikka and Kingfisher beer, the wailing of Hariharan, the hot kadai spitting oil and peas and ginger and chili.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pomfret’.
lots and lots of fish, a piscatorial
For those who wish no words were ever forgotten
being sorts of Fish
Looking for tweets for pomfret.