from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fish of family Bramidae, consisting of eight genera and some twenty species.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of two or more species of marine food fishes of the genus Stromateus (Stromateus niger, Stromateus argenteus) native of Southern Europe and Asia.
- n. A marine food fish of Bermuda (Brama Raji).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the East Indies, a fish of the genus Stromateoides, distinguished from the other stromateoids by the restricted lateral branchial apertures.
- n. Loosely, any fish of the family Stromateidæ.
- n. A bramoid fish, Brama rayi, Ray's seabream or hen-fish.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. deep-bodied sooty-black pelagic spiny-finned fish of the northern Atlantic and northern Pacific; valued for food
Perhaps derived from Portuguese pampano, a kind of fish. (Wiktionary)