from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various deep-bodied marine food fishes of the family Sparidae, especially a common species Pagrus pagrus of Mediterranean and Atlantic waters.
- n. Any of several fishes similar to the porgy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several fish of the family Sparidae; the sea bream or scup
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The scup.
- n. The sailor's choice, or pinfish.
- n. The margate fish.
- n. The spadefish.
- n. Any one of several species of embiotocoids, or surf fishes, of the Pacific coast. The name is also given locally to several other fishes, as the bur fish.
- n. Any one of numerous sparoid food fishes, as the jolthead porgy, the sheepshead porgy (Calamus penna) of the West Indies, the grass porgy (Calamus arctifrons) of Florida, and the red porgy (Pagrus pagrus) of Europe.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of several different fishes.
- n. A scaroid fish, Scarus radians.
- n. Same as white perch (which see, under perch).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. lean flesh of fish found in warm waters of southern Atlantic coast of the United States
- n. important deep-bodied food and sport fish of warm and tropical coastal waters; found worldwide
July 27th, 2006 at 1: 03 pm bs says: btw, gorgy porgy is chasing ‘terrorists’ all over the world, right? well, we are to. they just so happen to be in our backyard.
The red snapper ($13) is strictly for high-rollers, while the so-called porgy sandwich ($8) is a small specimen, just the right size for one person, and the clerk at the cash register may or may not remember to throw a couple of slices of bread in the paper basket when he calls your number.
Susie Dent: There was 'porgies' for seven - a porgy is a small fish.
My Dad was a Southerner so his favorite Sunday breakfast always included some fried fish (whiting, porgy, Virginia spot or croaker), with grits, scrambled eggs and cheese and corn bread.
I will use their fake squid bait for fishing for porgy.
Yes | No | Report from TheEasternShore ... wrote 50 weeks 5 days ago love to fish for porgy and blues and stripers in the surf. also have been offshore fishing really exciting
Five People Born on January 21 babyface nelson, birthdays, cinderella man, cleveland browns, elian gonzalez, Ira gershwin, James J. Braddock, otto graham, porgy and bess
From a cart along Boston Harbor he sold shellfish, cod, flounder, and striped porgy.
Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy.
Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumble puppy.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.