American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various deep-bodied marine food fishes of the family Sparidae, especially a common species Pagrus pagrus of Mediterranean and Atlantic waters.
- n. Any of several fishes similar to the porgy.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of several different fishes. A fish of the geuns Sparus in a restricted sense, or of the genus Pagrus; specifically, Sparus pagrus or Pagrus vulgaris, supposed to be the pagrus of the ancients, inhabiting the Mediterranean and Atlantic waters, of a silvery color, with the back rosy.
- n. A scaroid fish, Scarus radians.
- n. Same as white perch (which see, under perch).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The scup.
- n. The sailor's choice, or pinfish.
- n. The margate fish.
- n. The spadefish.
- n. Any one of several species of embiotocoids, or surf fishes, of the Pacific coast. The name is also given locally to several other fishes, as the bur fish.
- n. (Zoöl.) Any one of numerous sparoid food fishes, as the jolthead
porgy, the sheepshead porgy(Calamus penna) of the West Indies, the grass porgy(Calamus arctifrons) of Florida, and the red porgy(Pagrus pagrus) of Europe.
- n. lean flesh of fish found in warm waters of southern Atlantic coast of the United States
- n. important deep-bodied food and sport fish of warm and tropical coastal waters; found worldwide
- From Spanish or Portuguese pargo, from Latin phagrum, accusative of phager, from Ancient Greek φαγρος (phagros, "sea bream"). (Wiktionary)
- Alteration of Spanish and Portuguese pargo, both alteration of Latin phager, a kind of fish, from Greek phagros, sea bream. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“July 27th, 2006 at 1: 03 pm bs says: btw, gorgy porgy is chasing ‘terrorists’ all over the world, right? well, we are to. they just so happen to be in our backyard.”
“The red snapper ($13) is strictly for high-rollers, while the so-called porgy sandwich ($8) is a small specimen, just the right size for one person, and the clerk at the cash register may or may not remember to throw a couple of slices of bread in the paper basket when he calls your number.”
“Susie Dent: There was 'porgies' for seven - a porgy is a small fish.”
“My Dad was a Southerner so his favorite Sunday breakfast always included some fried fish (whiting, porgy, Virginia spot or croaker), with grits, scrambled eggs and cheese and corn bread.”
“I will use their fake squid bait for fishing for porgy.”
“Yes | No | Report from TheEasternShore ... wrote 50 weeks 5 days ago love to fish for porgy and blues and stripers in the surf. also have been offshore fishing really exciting”
“Five People Born on January 21 babyface nelson, birthdays, cinderella man, cleveland browns, elian gonzalez, Ira gershwin, James J. Braddock, otto graham, porgy and bess”
“From a cart along Boston Harbor he sold shellfish, cod, flounder, and striped porgy.”
“Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy.”
“Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumble puppy.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘porgy’.
Inspired by gangerh's extremely addictive list songbirds, this is the same type list, but for male names. Same rules apply:
Names of boys in song titles. Not in the lyrics, just in the title...
lots and lots of fish, a piscatorial
Looking for tweets for porgy.