American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A notation written on a letter indicating that the letter should be held at the post office until claimed by the addressee.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In France and other countries of Europe and America, a department in a post-office where letters specially addressed are kept till the owners call for them. It is intended particularly for the convenience of persons passing through a country or town where they have no fixed residence.
- n. a notation written on mail that is to be held at the post office until called for (not in the United States or Canada)
- n. the part of a post office that handles mail for persons who call for it
- From French (Wiktionary)
- French : poste, mail + restante, feminine present participle of rester, to remain. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘poste restante’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Looking for tweets for poste restante.