from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A notation written on a letter indicating that the letter should be held at the post office until claimed by the addressee.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A postal service in which mail is held at a post office to be collected by the recipient
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In France and other countries of Europe and America, a department in a post-office where letters specially addressed are kept till the owners call for them.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a notation written on mail that is to be held at the post office until called for (not in the United States or Canada)
- n. the part of a post office that handles mail for persons who call for it
French : poste, mail + restante, feminine present participle of rester, to remain.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French (Wiktionary)