from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something false; a sham.
- n. A small hairpiece; a toupee.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any item of false hair worn on the head or face, such as a false beard or wig.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Superadded; done after the work is finished: noting a superadded ornament of sculpture or architecture, especially when inappropriate or in false taste. Also postique.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something that is a counterfeit; not what it seems to be
- n. a covering or bunch of human or artificial hair used for disguise or adornment
French, from Italian posticcio, from posto, added (from Latin positus, past participle of pōnere, to place) or from Vulgar Latin *appostīcius (alteration of Latin appositus, past participle of appōnere, to place by, to add : ad-, ad- + pōnere, to place; see apo- in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French postiche. (Wiktionary)