from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Unlawfully distilled Irish whiskey.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Illegally produced Irish whiskey; moonshine.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Whisky; especially whisky distilled in a small way privately or illicitly by the Irish peasantry.
- n. especially, whisky illicitly distilled by the Irish peasantry.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Whisky made in Ireland, especially that which is illicitly distilled, sometimes very strong.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. unlawfully distilled Irish whiskey
Irish Gaelic poitín, small pot, poteen, from pota, pot, from English pot1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Irish poitín ("little pot"). (Wiktionary)