from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who hunts game for food, ignoring the rules of sport.
- n. One who participates in contests simply to win prizes.
- n. A person who seeks artifacts from past civilizations for personal use, sometimes by illegal means, without adhering to professional standards of archaeology.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who hunts animals for food (for the pot) rather than as sport.
- n. A person who competes solely to win prizes.
- n. An amateur archaeologist, especially one who seeks artifacts to sell without regard to their cultural importance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who participates in contests in order to collect trophies
- n. a nonprofessional archeologist
- n. someone who hunts for food (not for sport)
pot + hunter – in hunting sense, “for the (cooking) pot (to eat)”; in the archeology sense, “seeking old pots (to sell)”. (Wiktionary)