from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A mixture of meat or poultry and vegetables covered with a pastry crust and baked in a deep dish.
- n. A meat or poultry stew with dumplings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pie, having pastry sides and bottom, and filled with meat etc
- n. A dish of meat and vegetable stew with dumplings
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A meat pie which is boiled instead of being baked.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pie made by lining the inner surface of a pot or pan with pastry and filling it with meat, as beef, mutton, fowl, etc., seasoning it, and then baking.
- n. A dish of stewed meat with pieces of steamed pastry or dumplings served in it; a fricassee of meat with dumplings.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. deep-dish meat and vegetable pie or a meat stew with dumplings
But exactly how does it know I'm eating a chicken potpie?
Tonight she has made beef stew with dumplings, chicken potpie, potato curls, and bread and butter pudding.
Persian pies pineapple pomegranate pork potato dishes potatoes potpie pumpkin quiche/savory tarts quick breads quinoa rhubarb rice rice noodles runner beans salads salsas sauces sausage scallops scones seafood shortbread shrimp
I used to eat a Marie Callender's chicken potpie every Sunday afternoon while I listened to the radio programs My Word and My Music.
Since then, I haven't had a potpie or heard those programs.
Turkey Tetrazzini was also well received, inspiring favorable comparisons to Rice-A-Roni and "the inside of a potpie."
He enjoyed the chicken potpie, fried okra, and cheesecake, while thinking the family had been in a little fender bender.
They had a seafood potpie as a special, which I got.
Cahill went into the kitchen and took a potpie from the freezer, placed it on a cookie sheet, and set the oven for four-fifty.
Every mouthful was so refreshing after my time eating microwaved chicken potpie while working in a prison.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.