Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Predicating; affirming; asserting; expressing affirmation or predication: as, a predicative term.
- adj. grammar Used after a verb, as a predicate; contrasted with attributive.
- n. grammar An element of the predicate of a sentence which supplements the subject or object by means of the verb. Predicatives may be nominal or adjectival.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Expressing affirmation or predication; affirming; predicating, .
- adj. of adjectives; relating to or occurring within the predicate of a sentence
- predicate + -ive (Wiktionary)
“An adjective used just after a noun is called a predicative adjective - "The princess was very beautiful.”
“But even there I think I would be puzzled by any use that wasn't both negated and predicative, which is not the case with the hardier "untoward".”
“When an adjective follows a form of be or a few other verbs which I don’t want to talk about, it is known as a predicative adjective.”
“predicative" propositional functions of the lowest type, would have or lack "third truth" depending on whether its allowable substitution instances have second (or lower) truth.”
“I think I agree with you, Rick, that the gerund in a sentence like “I heard him singing” functions like a predicative adjective, much like “nude” in “I saw the protesters nude” or “happy” in “Cookies make me happy.””
“I don't think it's accurate to say behavioral theories have no predicative power.”
“There are analyst overconfidence and underreaction studies that seem to show predicative power.”
“I used an attributive, not a predicative adjective.”
“DOCUMENTARY: "IN THE FAMILY," about the dilemmas associated with predicative genetic tests revealing a strong chance of breast and ovarian cancer; part of the "NIH Science in the Cinema" series. 7 p.m.,”
““ITS TOUGHER IF YOUR STUPID” has two possessive pronouns and a predicative “IF”.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘predicative’.
Terms from the fields of terminology, lexicography, lexicology and corpus linguistics
terms relevant to English grammar
Types of verbs.
Looking for tweets for predicative.