from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Used after a verb, as a predicate; contrasted with attributive.
- n. An element of the predicate of a sentence which supplements the subject or object by means of the verb. Predicatives may be nominal or adjectival.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Expressing affirmation or predication; affirming; predicating, .
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Predicating; affirming; asserting; expressing affirmation or predication: as, a predicative term.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of adjectives; relating to or occurring within the predicate of a sentence
An adjective used just after a noun is called a predicative adjective - "The princess was very beautiful."
But even there I think I would be puzzled by any use that wasn't both negated and predicative, which is not the case with the hardier "untoward".
When an adjective follows a form of be or a few other verbs which I don’t want to talk about, it is known as a predicative adjective.
"predicative" propositional functions of the lowest type, would have or lack "third truth" depending on whether its allowable substitution instances have second (or lower) truth.
I think I agree with you, Rick, that the gerund in a sentence like “I heard him singing” functions like a predicative adjective, much like “nude” in “I saw the protesters nude” or “happy” in “Cookies make me happy.”
I don't think it's accurate to say behavioral theories have no predicative power.
There are analyst overconfidence and underreaction studies that seem to show predicative power.
I used an attributive, not a predicative adjective.
DOCUMENTARY: "IN THE FAMILY," about the dilemmas associated with predicative genetic tests revealing a strong chance of breast and ovarian cancer; part of the "NIH Science in the Cinema" series. 7 p.m.,
“ITS TOUGHER IF YOUR STUPID” has two possessive pronouns and a predicative “IF”.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.