from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Variant of praetor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A civil officer or magistrate among the ancient Romans.
- n. Hence, a mayor or magistrate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Roman history, a title which originally designated the consuls as the leaders of the armies of the state.
- n. Hence A magistrate; a mayor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an annually elected magistrate of the ancient Roman Republic
Sorry, no etymologies found.