from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who, or that which, prevents.
- n. An arrangement, made with ropes and blocks, that prevents the boom of a sailing boat from performing a jibe.
- n. Any of various lines set up to reinforce or relieve ordinary running or standing rigging.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who goes before; one who forestalls or anticipates another.
- n. One who prevents or obstructs; a hinderer; that which hinders.
- n. An auxiliary rope to strengthen a mast.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who goes before or takes the lead.
- n. One who prevents; a hinderer; that which hinders; a preventive.
- n. Specifically Nautical, an additional rope, chain, bolt, or spar employed to support any other when the latter suffers an unusual strain.
Sorry, no etymologies found.