from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small point or spike for holding a candle upright.
- n. A candlestick having such a spike.
- n. A buck in its second year, before the antlers branch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A buck in his second year. See note under 3d buck.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sharp iron point upon which a candle may be stuck; hence, a candlestick, either separate or one of several connected together. Also prick.
- n. Hence A wax taper.
- n. A buck in his second year: probably so called from his horns. See spike.
- n. The wall-pepper or biting stonecrop, Sedum acre.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. male deer in his second year
- n. a sharp metal spike to hold a candle
Middle English priket, diminutive of prik, prick, prick; see prick.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From prick + -et. (Wiktionary)