from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An organ or a part in its most rudimentary form or stage of development.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An aggregation of cells that is the first stage in the development of an organ
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Beginning; commencement; origin.
- n. In botany, the ultimate beginning of any structure.
- n. In embryology, the first trace of a future organ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an organ in its earliest stage of development; the foundation for subsequent development
Latin prīmōrdium; see primordial.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)