from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A temporary projection of the cytoplasm of certain cells, such as phagocytes, or of certain unicellular organisms, especially amoebas, that serves in locomotion and phagocytosis.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any protoplasmic filament or irregular process projecting from any unicellular organism, or from any animal or plant call.
- n. A rhizopod.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of the Pseudopoda, as an amœba; any protozoan which is provided with pseudopodia, or has the power of protruding diversiform parts of its sarcode in the form of pseudopodia. serving as temporary organs of locomotion; a rhizopod; a myxopod.
- n. A pseudopodium.
- n. In entomology, any one of the structures which function as feet in many insect larvæ, as spines, thickenings, or other modifications of the integument.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. temporary outgrowth used by some microorganisms as an organ of feeding or locomotion
From pseudo- + -pod. (Wiktionary)