American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A temporary projection of the cytoplasm of certain cells, such as phagocytes, or of certain unicellular organisms, especially amoebas, that serves in locomotion and phagocytosis.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of the Pseudopoda, as an amœba; any protozoan which is provided with pseudopodia, or has the power of protruding diversiform parts of its sarcode in the form of pseudopodia. serving as temporary organs of locomotion; a rhizopod; a myxopod.
- n. A pseudopodium.
- n. In entomology, any one of the structures which function as feet in many insect larvæ, as spines, thickenings, or other modifications of the integument.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Biol.) Any protoplasmic filament or irregular process projecting from any unicellular organism, or from any animal or plant call.
- n. (Zoöl.) A rhizopod.
- n. temporary outgrowth used by some microorganisms as an organ of feeding or locomotion
- From pseudo- + -pod. (Wiktionary)
“As Unitarian Universalists, we can't be all "pseudopod" either because we also need our "nucleus" or congregational core for long-term stability and survival.”
“For a while there is a highway of mindlessly excited ants tromping back and forth between colony and food—a pseudopod reaching out for the food, if you will.”
“The pheromone trail fades out, and the pseudopod dissolves.”
“Hungry China has extended a pseudopod around Myanmar's oil and gas fields, timber and mines, and it is rapidly metabolizing the country's considerable natural resources.”
“As the big organism pushed out a pseudopod a blobby sort of arm toward the swarm of polyhedral bits, the particles began to swirl in a lazy cloud around the big guy.”
“Four stubby wings protruded from the sides, one reaching toward Aya like the pseudopod of some metal bacteria.”
“Basically, we get an MMO amoeba that throws out a casual pseudopod that eventually grows and separates from its parent.”
“This would be the pseudopod-splitting-off situation I described earlier.”
“Determined, she inched along the floor like a crude life form, using a hand, a foot, a shoulder, a heel like a pseudopod, propelling her forward in minute increments.”
“The airy pseudopod con-toned, the bathtub rotating along with it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pseudopod’.
just the next words that come along
purported or false; resembling or imitating
Looking for tweets for pseudopod.