from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument that uses the difference in readings between two thermometers, one having a wet bulb and the other having a dry bulb, to measure the moisture content or relative humidity of air.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several instruments used to measure the relative humidity of the atmosphere; especially a wet-and-dry-bulb hygrometer.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for measuring the tension of the aqueous vapor in the atmosphere, being essentially a wet and dry bulb hygrometer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument for determining the tension of the aqueous vapor in the air or the relative humidity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a hygrometer consisting of a dry-bulb thermometer and a wet-bulb thermometer; their difference indicates the dryness of the surrounding air
Twelve ordinary standard (psychrometer -) thermometers, divided to fifths of a degree (Centigrade).
Temperature and humidity readings have been collected using a sling psychrometer, a simple device containing two mercury thermometers.
Where most unstaffed weather stations have undergone technology upgrades, consistent use of the sling psychrometer has helped provide scientific precision to the Mount Washington climate record.
To use the sling psychrometer, the wick is moistened with clean water and the device is twirled in the air using the handle.
A sling psychrometer is a device that consists of two thermometers joined to a piece of plastic or metal (Figure 2).
Relative humidity is often determined using a sling psychrometer or a hair hygrometer.
Most of these people have no idea how to use a sling psychrometer or calculate a dewpoint temp from a wet bulb reading.
Re #202- Most weather stations in the past either used a sling psychrometer or had a piece of equipment called a TMQ-11 to get a dry bulb reading.
* To fashion the sling psychrometer, fasten wet gauze to the bulb of a thermometer, tie it to a cord, and twirl the thermometer at the end of the cord.
Fashion a simple sling psychrometer and demonstrate its use.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.