from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small marine gastropod mollusks of the subclass Opisthobranchia that have winglike lobes on the feet. Also called sea butterfly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several small marine gastropod mollusks, of the suborder Thecosomata, that have winglike lobes on the feet; the sea butterfly
- adj. Of or pertaining to these creatures
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Pteropoda.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having an alate podium, or winglike expansions of the foot, as a mollusk; of or pertaining to the Pteropoda. Also pteropodous.
- n. A mollusk of the class Pteropoda. The shell-bearing pteropods are the Thecosomata; the naked pteropods are the Gymnsomata; spiny pteropods belong to the family Cavoliniidæ, and spiral pteropods to the Limacinidæ; slipper-pteropods are Cymbuliidæ. Also pteropode.
From New Latin Pteropoda, order name : Greek pteron, feather, wing; see -pter + New Latin -poda, -pod.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)