Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The seed of the pumpkin.
- n. One of many small centrarchoid fishes of the genus Lepomis or Pomotis, especially the common sunfish of the eastern United States, L. gibbosus: so called from the shape. Also tobacco-box. See cut under sunfish.
- n. A type of yacht-built boat, broad and cat- or sloop-rigged. It is a very wet sailer.
- n. A very flat, wide row-boat, of the shape of a pumpkinseed, used in water that is shallow or encumbered with weeds or grass.
- n. One of the common names of Poronotus triacanthus, a fish found on the Atlantic coast.
“Seguine and Gilbertson treat pumpkin-seed oil like caramel sauce.”
“Tim Gruber for The Wall Street Journal Shown, pails of pumpkin seeds that will be cleaned, dried and eventually pressed for pumpkin-seed oil.”
“Reddish-green and nutty-tasting, pumpkin-seed oil is among the fastest growing specialty oils in popularity.”
“Shown, Mr. Seguine spooned the pumpkin-seed oil on ice cream.”
“Tim Gruber for The Wall Street Journal Hay River Foods, based on a farm in northwest Wisconsin, is one of a very few U.S. producers of high-quality organic pumpkin-seed oil.”
“Hull-less pumpkins—cultivated for their seeds rather than their flesh—are the main source of pumpkin-seed oil world-wide because their thin seed coat allows for easy oil extraction.”
“They sold or gave away some 100 bottles of pumpkin-seed oil after their first test pressing in 2006 and have sold out every season since.”
“Tim Gruber for The Wall Street Journal Mr. Gilbertson cleaned a batch of pumpkin seeds that will be pressed for pumpkin-seed oil.”
“Foodies have an alternative to olive oil and butter: pumpkin-seed oil, one of several slick new specialty oils meant for dipping, dabbing or, as the professionals say, "topping off" a dish.”
“Some bars offer pumpkin-pie shots, pumpkin-seed spitting contests and other Spring Break-style events.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pumpkin-seed’.
Wordplay and humor abound in the names and naming of organisms. I believe this sort of play is a distinctly human quality.
Herein I list playful names of organisms that inspire delight...
Bambiraptor, Godzillius, Dalailama, Ia io, Cartwrightia cart..., Mops mops, Dives dives dives, Lactarius nonfungus, Lactarius nonpiscis, Achelousaurus hor..., Vini vidivici, Panama canalia and 999 more...
Looking for tweets for pumpkin-seed.