from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Divination by fire or flames.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Divination by fire; the use of fire to supernaturally gain information.
- n. The magical power of conjuring or controlling fire.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Divination by means of fire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Divination by fire, or by the forms appearing in fire.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. divination by fire or flames
Middle English piromance, from Old French pyromancie, from Late Latin pyromantīa, from Greek puromanteia : puro-, pyro- + manteia, divination; see -mancy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)