from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Spontaneously igniting in air.
- adj. Producing sparks by friction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. spontaneously igniting in air, especially when in a finely divided state
- adj. producing sparks, especially by friction
- adj. Able to oxidize with exposure to atmospheric oxygen at normal temperatures.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Light-producing; of or pertaining to pyrophorus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as pyrophorous.
From pyrophorus, substance that ignites spontaneously : from Greek purophoros, fire-bearing : puro-, pyro- + -phoros, -phorous.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek πυροφόρος ("fire-bearing") + -ic. (Wiktionary)