from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Cheaply made or done; of inferior quality: a quick-and-dirty construction project; a quick-and-dirty research report.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Done or constructed in a hasty, approximate, temporarily adequate manner, but not exact, fully formed, or reliable for a long period of time.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the creation or repair of software or hardware in a manner which permits operation within a brief period of time, although with compromised functionality or reliability.
- n. An inexpensive, inelegant eatery; a greasy spoon.
- n. A quick, temporary fix, estimate, or the like.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The interesting premise is delicately overlaid with emotion by having a single human show the chimp some compassion, resulting in a quick-and-dirty sf short story that is both charming and memorable.
Jonathan: We thought we were decently physical and we'd go for the quick-and-dirty challenge. ...
The poster had a valid point, and I figured my old-school "start-with-a-goalie" paradigm may no longer be applicable to the NHL. To test the validity of my theory, I set out to do a quick-and-dirty benchmark analysis of how past Stanley Cup winners constructed their teams.
So I did a quick-and-dirty calculation of how many Americans the senators in each party represent, assuming that each senator represents all of the people in his or her state and that the currently open Senate seats (like Delaware, Illinois, and New York) will be filled by someone from the same party.
Whoops, I forgot to add one thing: Please, please, PLEASE do not use rape or other sexual traumas as a quick-and-dirty way to give a female character a tragic backstory!
Classroom quotes and essay excerpts are posted by teachers and take the basic meme formula from Shit My Dad Says and other quick-and-dirty quotables.
But before I left for college Mom sat me down and gave me advice on quick-and-dirty cooking-on-the-cheap.
Made some quick-and-dirty potato salad on the side (mayo, sour cream, Garlic Caesar dressing, Cavendar's, lemon pepper, more garlic).
It turns out, stock photo modeling gigs, along with donating blood, was one of the quick-and-dirty ways Poehler and fellow comedians in Chicago made money at the time.
Macquarie analyst Ben Schachter 's quick-and-dirty analysis says Facebook's disclosure implies $268 million for Zynga's bookings for the fourth quarter, short of the $302 million analysts are expecting.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.