from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Consisting of five parts or members.
- adj. Five times as much in size, strength, number, or amount.
- n. A fivefold amount or number.
- transitive v. To multiply or be multipled by five.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. having five parts or members
- adj. five times as much
- n. a fivefold amount
- v. to multiply something (or be multiplied) by five
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Multiplied by five; increased to five times the amount; fivefold.
- transitive v. To make fivefold, or five times as much or many.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fivefold; containing five times the number or amount.
- In botany, divided or arranged by a rule of five; fivefold.
- To make fivefold.
- To increase fivefold.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having five units or components
- v. increase fivefold
- n. a set of five similar things considered as a unit
French, from Old French : Latin quīntus, fifth; see penkwe in Indo-European roots + -ple, -fold (from Latin -plus; see pel-2 in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle French quintuple. (Wiktionary)