from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Variant of rebato.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Stiff collar, wired or starched, worn in the 16th and 17th centuries; sometimes used as a support for the ruff.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of ruff for the neck; a turned-down collar; a rebato.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A falling band; a collar turned over upon the shoulders, or supported in a horizontal position like a ruff.
- n. A wire or other stiffener used to hold this band in place.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a wired or starched collar of intricate lace; worn in 17th century
Sorry, no etymologies found.