from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Uncommon; rare.
- adj. Exquisite; choice.
- adj. Overrefined; forced.
- adj. Pretentious; overblown.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Sought out with care; choice. Hence: of rare quality, elegance, or attractiveness; peculiar and refined in kind — especially with an artificial or pretentious effect.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Sought out with care; choice.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Much sought after; hence, out of the common; rare; dainty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. lavishly elegant and refined
French, past participle of rechercher, to research, from Old French recercher; see research.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French recherché, more at French rechercher. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.