American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To voice or convey disapproval of; rebuke. See Synonyms at admonish.
- v. To find fault with.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To disapprove; condemn; censure.
- To charge with a fault; chide; reprehend: formerly sometimes with of.
- To convince, as of a fault; convict.
- To refute; disprove.
- Synonyms and Rebuke, Reprimand, etc. See censure and admonition.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. obsolete To convince.
- v. obsolete To disprove; to refute.
- v. To chide to the face as blameworthy; to accuse as guilty; to censure.
- v. To express disapprobation of.
- v. take to task
- From Anglo-Norman reprover, Middle French reprouver, from Latin reprobāre. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English reproven, from Anglo-Norman repruver, variant of Old French reprover, from Late Latin reprobāre, to disapprove; see reprobate. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He that is to reprove is to remember, that his business is not to declaim and shew his parts, but to work a cure.”
“For the word rendered in our version 'reprove' is the same which our Lord employed when He spoke of the mission of the Comforter as being to”
“Did you ever notice this context, in which the Apostle, in the next verse to my text, gives the reason for his commandment to 'reprove' thus -- '_For_ it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret'?”
“If He is, and we are therefore 'light in the Lord,' we shall 'reprove' or 'convict' the”
“Epistles), see 1Ti 1: 10; 6: 3. convince -- rather, "reprove" [Alford], (Tit 1: 13).”
“Paul told him in 2 Timothy 2-4: Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.”
“And after things are untangled and you have had time to appreciate the close shave, you go up to Prince and reprove him with your choicest vocabulary.”
“The goal of women and the Women's Center is not to 'gracefully reprove public stupidity' and then move on, but to change the blasÃ© attitudes about sexual assault that caused DKE to think this chant was acceptable in the first place.”
“As the Center responded with histrionics, what could have been an opportunity for our campus to maturely and gracefully reprove public stupidity and affirm mutual respect turned into a daylong, private spat.”
“The goal of women and the Women's Center is not to 'gracefully reprove public stupidity' and then move on, but to change the blasé attitudes about sexual assault that caused DKE to think this chant was acceptable in the first place.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘reprove’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Key words from "The Training of a Public Speaker" by Grenville Kleiser (New York and London, 1920)
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Someone must have had an inferiority complex.
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
Looking for tweets for reprove.