from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To start again or anew: restarted the engine after it stalled.
- intransitive v. To begin operation again.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of starting something again.
- v. To start again.
- v. to reboot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To start again after a stop or pause: specifically used of injectors for feeding-boilers, which adjust themselves to varying pressures of the steam, and, after breaking the continuous flow of water, will pick it up again without readjustment by hand; also of motors for vehicles, which, after being stopped, will start up again without the necessity of compressing and igniting the charge by turning the motor-shaft by hand.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. take up or begin anew
- v. start an engine again, for example
re- + start (Wiktionary)