from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A door, as in the entrance of an office or apartment building, usually consisting of four rigid upright sections interconnected at right angles and rotating about a central upright pivot.
- n. Informal An organization, institution, or place whose members, personnel, or population remain only a short time before going elsewhere.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A door that rotates around a central pivot.
- n. A system or institution in which people exit and immediately reenter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a door consisting of four orthogonal partitions that rotate about a central pivot; a door designed to equalize the air pressure in tall buildings
- n. an organization or institution with a high rate of turnover of personnel or membership
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.